Monday, April 23, 2012

The man who went to Burma

After the complete disaster of crybaby Mike, the matchmaker gave me the name of someone else.  This man is named Ted.  We talked a few times on the phone.  He seems very even tempered and serene.  He is a doctor, actually an anesthesiologist and has manages chronic pain in his practice.  He is originally from Virginia.  We agreed to meet on Sunday night for Mediterranean.  So, he suggested a place in the borough of West Chester.

It was pouring down rain and I got there first.  It is a very small place so there was no way to have a mix up over the tables and there is no bar.  Phew!  He arrived after I did and I could tell that he was attracted to me.  And, when we were seated he pulled my chair out for me!!!!  That is the very first time that has happened up here.  I was so impressed.  He is about 5'11" and he told me that he weighs 180 pounds.  There is no way.  I'm sorry.  He weighs more than that.  He has blue eyes and wears rimless glasses.  He has salt-n-pepper hair and lots of it.  I was attracted to him too.

He asked me a lot of questions and it's fair to say that I did a lot of the talking.  He mostly wanted to know about my travels in Europe.  He told me that he had recently gone to Burma with his friend who is Burmese to take pictures.  Photography is his passion.  He also shared with me that after he got out of high school, he flew to France with his bicycle and explored for a month or two.  My kind of guy!

He is living in Broomall now and is not yet divorced.  He has been separated for 2 years and the signing of the papers is the next step.  He did not seem to be broken hearted at all.  He has been with the matchmaker for 8 months now.  Seems like a long time to me to not have met anyone.

He paid for the bill and we sat there talking for a while.  I found it odd that he left the bill open.  You know how they bring you the bill in the plastic puffy folder?  He paid it with his card, the waiter brought it back and then Ted never closed it.  I didn't look at it because I thought that would be rude.  Maybe he wanted me to see it?  I'm not sure what to make of that.

Then, he insisted on walking me to my car in the pouring rain.  His umbrella turned inside out when he opened it in the doorway.  It was actually funny.  We fixed it.  So, he had his umbrella and I had mine.  He walked me to the parking lot where my car was and shook my hand and thanked me for a lovely evening.  So, I kind of tugged on his hand a little bit and went to give him a hug.  He hugged me back like they do in the UK (they put their cheek next to yours and then sort of kiss the air).  So, he never actually kissed my cheek.  Now, I could have put him in my car and driven him to his car, but I decided against that.  I don't know the whole thing was really awkward and I told him to call me.

So, I'm really not sure what to make of this.  It seems like if he liked me, he would have kissed me bye.  Not like a big kiss.  But, just like a little quick closed mouth kiss on the cheek or the lips?  But, then he was very very polite and maybe he thought that a kiss on the first date is too forward.

He did do another thing which I thought was very sweet.  My bracelet which was on my right hand got hung on my sweater on my left forearm at one point.  I said, "Oh, I'm hung up here" and kind of laughed.  He was very fast trying to help me.  I actually undid it myself, but he was really wanting to be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment